π

Fixing "Everything I Type Is In Times New Roman" in Word 2016

Show Sidebar

I had a very stupid issue with Word 2016 on my office computer and this my story about the journey to solve it which took me a couple of months.

The Issue

When I opened any given docx file in my Word (Office Professional Plus 2016) and I started to type within an existing paragraph which is set in - let's say Arial font, I end up with my characters set in Times New Roman.

When I am started a new dotx file, everything I was typing was in Times New Roman instead of the pre-defined font.

Analyzing the Issue

On further investigation, I found out that size and font color was used correctly from the given document/template/formatting but the font itself was Times New Roman (TNR) all the time. So when I typed in an word set in Arial 12pt, I got TMR 12pt for my newly typed characters. When I typed in a blue heading 1 which was set in Georgia 14pt, I ended up with having blue TMR 14pt heading 1.

Placing my cursor in the document in an paragraph correctly showed me that it is based on "Normal" template (or whatever template element it was set in). This holds true for the original characters and for the characters I inserted. When I selected the text of my changes and clicked on the format template "Normal" (or whatever template element that was appropriate), everything was corrected, ending up with the correct fonts.

So this was not an issue of not having a working Arial or Georgia font installed.

This was driving me nuts. Anything I was typing, I had to select and format manually.

Asking for Help

Doing the usual research with web search engines, I found that this issue is not really a know one. I could hardly find anything related in the big web. This was my best source for information in the end.

I started a reddit thread and a Microsoft answers thread. The latter gave me some input but none of them fixed my issue.

And before you recognize yourself: yes, I did not post the solution below to the Microsoft thread simply because after logging in, all "reply" buttons are disabled for me. The happiness is, when it's not a web forum.

What Did Not Fix the Issue

Here is the long list of things I did which did not fix my issue:

Solution

Starting Word as a different user did solve the issue but was no permanent solution for obvious reasons.

The only thing that fixed the issue for my current user was to get a copy of a working "Normal.dotm" file from a colleague who does not face the same issue. After replacing my own copy with his, it suddenly worked.

Please notice that I let Word re-create the "Normal.dotm" by removing the file alltogether multiple times without any change of the issue.

I am really disappointed and frustrated because of this issue. So I wrote this blog post to help peers who suffer from this issue. Additionally, it will serve well for anybody arguing that closed source software has good quality and I get support for it in real-life scenarios like this.

Comment via email or via Disqus comments below: